Wednesday, May 9, 2007

FlatWorld Reflection

Our Class participated in a writing project called 1001 Flatworld stories. This is our class reflection on it.

1. What did you like best about the project and why?
I liked that our comments of our story was from many different people with varying viewpoints on writing, it wasn't all the same people with similar thoughts. I also liked that we got to read pieces from over the world and see the way they think.

2. What did you like least and why?
I least liked when people gave either criticism that could be more precise or none at all. It makes it hard for your story to work well if your commenter aren't doing their jobs.
3. What was something surprising that you learned about the other students (from other schools)?
I learned a lot about the areas they live in and what kind of culture they have. In the school in Korea, I read numerous stories containing their cultural food, as well as stories about both the North and South Korea. From the school in Colorado I learned about the favorite pastimes they enjoy on the mainland.

4. How do you think the project affected your writing?
The project altered my writing my introducing me to many different types of styles. There were countless ways a story was introduced, and even more differences on how it was carried out, and I saw some excellent techniques that I could employ myself.

5. Describe the most challenging aspect of the project.
The hardest part in this project was collaborating with people around the world. Since all the variations in timezones, work was often due on different days for everyone, which made it confusing at first. After a few weeks though it became clear what was due on each day.

6. Offer some advice to future participants.
Be sure to read and give comments, and especially give them on time. The commenting is one of the things that makes the Flatworld project unique. You can get feedback from people that have a lot to offer you writing wise. If you don't use their comments your giving up a valuable resource to make your story shine.

7. Other comments.
This project was really fun, and it was great to work with all the people from Colorado and Korea.

No comments: